Monday, December 16, 2013

Veterans Day and my Favorite Soldier

 My Dad is a highly decorated (retired) soldier. When Veterans day comes around every year it seems that my dad always has something going on. Whether it is a speaking engagement or some kind of honor presented to him. This year he was nominated for a prestigious award up at the University of Utah. Because the war (I think WWII) was signed to end on the eleventh month, the eleventh day, in the eleventh hour the U celebrates eleven Veterans on that time and at that time each year. Each Veteran was escorted up on stage with a active military soldier and presented a metal. While they were given their metal there was a story and a little history read about the Veteran. There was some great patriotic music, taps was played for those lost, and a cannon was shot for remembrance also. Then after this ceremony the Honored Veterans and guests were invited to a really nice luncheon. It was a really neat ceremony and I was so proud of him!

 This is my parents with some really good friends of theirs Sid and Nancy. Sid and my Dad served together and now they go to dinner and travel together some times.
 After the ceremony the audience was invited to come up and talk to and say thanks to the honored. This is the Mayor of Saratoga Springs Mia Love congratulating my Pop.
 My Pop and his escort for the Day
 The President of the U presenting my dad with his award
 My dad is so serious sometimes and this is the only picture I could get of him smiling. This is when he saw his friends Sid and Nancy out in the audience. He has a nice smile I don't know why you don't see it more often.
 Out in the hallway they had a large board telling about each of the Honored Veterans. The same things was written in a program. It really was a good day I was honored to be invited and share that moment with him. Congrats Pop!
 
 
My niece Alisha, dad, and my Bro. James
 
Ok so this was a different day earlier in the year I think it was July 4th but, I realized that I didn't put this in here and since it was another time my dad was given an honor I thought I would post them together. This was a ceremony in the city which he lives. There is a monument in the city cemetery that has service men and women's name engraved on it. It is different than other monuments because it posts the name of not only the dead but of the living service members of the city. It has a wall for each branch of the military but also the police force. Each year they do a ceremony and take down the flag that has been standing there all year and put up a new one. They give the past year to someone they decide to Honor that year and this year my father was chosen. He was asked to speak but, wasn't aware that he was the one chosen with the honored flag that year it was a humbling surprise.
 My Fathers name was also added to the wall of Army service men and women
Mom always by dads side supporting him.

No comments:

Post a Comment